Tuesday 23 July 2013

What to Expect When You're Expecting.. My Version


We all know about the now infamous book series "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and its great!!  Its realistic, factual and fun to read however I still don't feel that it really prepares you for what to actually expect!

So here is a summary of what I expected my pregnancy to be like, or what its like in the movies anyway!

The Glow - That radiant, "I am going to be a mummy and I am fabulous", appearance that is meant to be there from day 1 of pregnancy actually turned out to be more of a fade!  My skin was drier than ever, I was riddled with spots (and still am!), my freckles appeared where no freckles ever were and it was hard to see any face under the dark circles around my eyes


Cute Bump - You always see a perfectly round, tanned and blemish free bump in films and on supermodels so I couldn't wait to get mine!  Instead I have a pretty funny shaped, hairy tummy that I am scared to show anyone in case they think I have turned part gorilla!



Yoga - I expected to be on my yoga mat at least a few times a week, doing elegant pregnancy stretches and movements, preparing my body for labour.  There was no chance of my doing anything physical in the first trimester due to extreme exhaustion and now my bumps over halfway I wouldn't be caught dead on a yoga mat as my back would most likely give way



Healthy Eating - I imagined nutritious fruit and veg filled meals, smoothies and healthy snacks.  Instead, fruit and veg actually made me feel SO nauseous until halfway through the pregnancy and my cravings turned out to be mostly carb related, fizzy drinks or chocolate!



Coffee Chats - You always see pregnant mummy's discussing their cool new baby purchases and perfect bumps over coffee in Starbucks or in a chic cafe!  The smell of coffee made me gag if it was anywhere near me.. no chance of me being cool and sophisticated as I couldn't get within a few metres of a coffee shop



Luscious Hair - I have always been pretty proud of my hair, its thick and wavy and pretty does what I want most of the time so when I heard that pregnancy can make your hair look shiny and amazing I was excited!  As soon as I got pregnant my hair went SO dry, my colour faded immediately and the fall out was extreme - not to mention the grey hairs!  Yes, my hair grows like crazy but it really is not as bouncy and glossy as they said it would be



Boobs - I have never had a good rack.  I'm not ashamed to admit it!  I just never seemed to sprout in the chest department so I was actually really looking forward to getting some sort of cleavage! However this was short lived when the pain kicked it!  Jesus, they hurt A LOT and I think this will only get worse as it nears Harry's arrival.  I would be perfectly happy going back down to an A cup if I can get rid of the aching


As much as it probably sounds like I am moaning about pregnancy, I'm really not!!  I love it really and I cannot wait to be a mummy!  I just think its good to be really honest about how you feel and look and there is nothing wrong with feeling rubbish or sometimes wishing someone else could be carrying this baby for you - its hard work!

Was pregnancy everything you thought it would be??

SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I'm not gonna lie -I absolutely hated pregnancy!!!!!!! I did nothing but throw up all day long for the first 25 weeks and after that, I was just over it lol.

    Luckily the result is very cute! ;)


    Hayley
    Sparkles & Stretchmarks
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right!! Fair play to these women who "LOVED being pregnant" but its just sooooo over rate ;-)
    Very lucky the end result is cute and well worth it ay!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! It's so nice to hear real pregnancy stories. I was heartbroken when my 'glow' was masked by spots and my shiny hair turned like straw. Maybe we should club together and write 'what to actually expect when you're expecting' :) xxx

    ReplyDelete

© Lucie & The Bump. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig